I’m not sure there is a member of the Kimmel gene pool anywhere in North America who doesn’t list Chicken Fried Steak as their favorite meal. So, as a new bride, I learned early on how to make this dish, and have improved my execution of it over the years. I hope you enjoy it too! ~Tricia
Kimmel Family Chicken Fried SteakCourse: Main
- Main Ingredients
4-6 cube steaks, depending on their size. (If frozen, thaw thoroughly before cooking.)
Your preferred cooking oil. I use about half canola oil with half coconut oil. Use enough to completely cover your steaks in a deep frying pan.
1/2 c. cool water
- Breading – In a medium sized bowl stir together:
2-3 c. Kamut white flour (any flour will work, though)
2 Tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground whole black pepper
1/4 c. Paprika
1-2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1-2 Tbsp. Onion Powder
1 Tbsp. Curry Powder
1 tsp. turmeric
2 Tbsp. Basil
2 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash Seasoning
- Heat oil in a pan on high while preparing the breading, about 1/2″ deep, enough to cover steaks. While oil is heating, prepare breading mixture.
- In a small bowl (large enough to hold one steak), crack two eggs, and dilute with 1/2 c. cool water. Beat with fork.
- Slightly decrease the heat to the pan to medium-high. Be sure your cube steaks are thoroughly thawed. Coat each steak in breading mixture, then dip in egg/water mixture. Coat again in breading.
- Gently drop into heated oil and cook to desired doneness.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy or your favorite steak seasoning. We like A1 and Heinz 57. This also goes great with hashbrowns and fried eggs!
- Keep your steaks lightly covered in a warm oven while you prepare your side dishes.
- This same breading can be used for any other dish that requires deep frying.